I love burritos. The soft flour tortilla holding inside a delicious blend of rice, beans, meat, cheese, and guacamole, all mixed in together, yet each flavor holding their own. At first, the burrito seems too big for you to consume in one sitting, but once you start eating it you realize you will definitely finish it. A burrito, I think, must be wrapped in foil. Not served on a plate, no sauce on top drowning the burrito, and definitely not eaten with a fork and knife.
Now what, you may ask, makes me such an expert. My only response to that is my love for the glorious burrito. And the fact that I have been eating them since I could remember. Give me a burrito over a taco or enchilada any day. I love them so much that if I were on death row and had to choose my last meal, a burrito would be among one of my top choices.
Growing up, The Super Burrito in Millbrae was my favorite. I always ordered mine with carnitas (pulled pork). The Super Burrito makes their burritos on the mushier side, which some say they don't like, but I think are amazing!
The Tapatia also makes a good burrito, but I'm not a fan of lettuce or sour cream in my burrito, so it's not one of my favorites.
Another place I recently discovered thanks to my dad is in the Mission in SF, La Taqueria. An awesome burrito! It is a little pricier, but so worth it. They use huge chunks of carne asada, yummy rice and beans, cheese, and pieces of avocado (not guacamole). Their burrito is fresh, yet simple. So good!
But all of the above mentioned places are in the Bay Area. Los Angeles, among its many flaws, has one unforgivable downside. The city could not make a decent burrito if the lives of its citizens depended on it! I'm not joking. I have tried several places and nothing comes close to a Bay Area burrito. Now, I'm not saying you can't get good Mexican food in LA, you can, just don't get the burrito.
The only decent burritos I've had here so far are from King Taco and Rubios. Yes, I said Rubios, the fast food "mexican" place you can find at your local strip mall.
I will give credit to King Taco, their burrito has good meat, rice, beans, cilantro, and onions, but it doesn't compare to my beloved burritos in the Bay.
And although I have not yet found a decent burrito in Los Angeles, I keep trying them. Maybe one day, in some small taqueria, the perfect burrito will be sitting there, waiting for me. But until then, the search continues.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment