I don't understand LA. Maybe that's why I still cannot call it home, even though I have spent a considerable amount of my life here, and still have a few more years to go.
For example, car chases. I don't know what is the fascination with car chases. As I write this, channel 9 has spent the last 30 minutes of news time filming the car as it's racing down one of LA's many freeways, with the police following behind. And the chase usually ends in one of 3 ways: a) the car crashes into something and the police are able to catch up to it; b) the car makes it to some resident area and the driver decides to make a run for it on foot, with the police usually catching their man; or c) the driver is able to somehow get away.
Although it is somewhat entertaining to see the grand finale, is it really worth wasting half hour of the news time? I guess some will say yes. And I wonder if car chases are only an LA phenomenon. I don't remember seeing these in SF. Maybe the lack of freeways dissuades people from hitting the gas pedal.
The best car chase I have seen was about a year ago. The car was heading down the 405 freeway, took one of the exits, and drove straight to the Fox Hills mall, which is about 4 miles from our place. The car entered the covered parking structure so the helicopter could no longer film and the police lost him! I admit, I was impressed by the driver's quick thinking. I wonder how long he had been planning that one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment