Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Back to the grind....

A lot has happened since I last wrote. Marco’s food poisoning turned out to be a ruptured appendix. It was such a long and scary journey, but he is doing much better now and is almost back to his crazy, loving self.

School also started up again. We’re already into week 2 of the quarter. It goes by so fast! I’m liking my classes, except for the timing. I have an early 8am class and a late 5pm-9pm class. Yes, I know some of you might be rolling your eyes at my whining of an 8am class, but students will see an early class and run the other way! 10am is a more decent time to hold class. What are these professors thinking?!?

Last night I left my class at 9pm and walked to meet my personal chauffeurs, Marco and Vinnie. I ended up walking through the main quad and stopped to admire my favorite building, Royce Hall.


UCLA is awesome at night. Something about that building makes me swoon. It’s supposedly built after a building in Italy and the unique thing about it is that it’s not symmetrical. Each tower is slightly different, with 3 windows on one side and 2 on the other. I think there are a bunch of little “mistakes” built into it so at first glance it looks impeccable, but once you really look at it you can see the small differences. But that’s the beauty of it, even though it’s not perfect it’s still an awesome building.

I remember sitting in the arches as an undergrad, reading or just people watching. It seems so far away. Being a grad student is a little different. There are more responsibilities and I have to work while also taking classes. But I feel very lucky to be a student. I complain and whine about school sometimes, but I’m trying to appreciate where I am. Not everyone gets this opportunity and I feel like it’s my responsibility to appreciate it and do my best. Once school is all over I know I’m going to miss it, but I should be hopefully saving the world by then, so I’ll keep busy!

No comments: