My mom’s favorite Beatles song. She told me that when she first came to the US, she liked to listen to music in English. At first not knowing what the words meant, but eventually singing along, pronouncing the words and understanding some. Strawberry Fields forever.
Why this song? I think it’s because of the images it invokes. Green rolling hills with bright, juicy red strawberries everywhere. But now that I listen to the song, the melancholy sounds take on a new meaning.
She loved strawberries. She would tell me the story of when she was pregnant with me, she would come home from work and eat strawberries in the summer. She craved them. Or maybe I craved them. Either way, she passed on to me her love for the fruit.
As a child of the 80s, I was in love with Strawberry Shortcake (come on, you remember her). I have an old doll of strawberry shortcake as a baby, wearing a pink outfit, red hair, with a sweet scent of strawberry. I had the comforter, sheets, dolls, VHS movies we had recorded from the tv. Anything strawberry I loved. I still love strawberries, maybe even more now….
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out, it doesn't matter much to me.
Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hungabout.
Strawberry Fields forever.
http://www.beatleslyricsarchive.com/viewSong.php?songID=215
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment