Sunday, August 10, 2008

Vinnie

We were sitting in downtown Culver City tonight, enjoying our gelato; mine was mango, Marco had tiramisu. Vinnie was sitting, chin near our knees, waiting for another piece of his doggie treats I brought for him. A lady stopped to pet Vinnie and asked us his name and age. "What is the best part of having a dog?" she then asked. Marco and I stopped for a second, never being asked this by a stranger before. People stop us all the time to pet Vinnie and ask questions like, "how much does he weigh?" "does he snore/fart/drool?" stuff like that, but never what WE liked about Vinnie. Marco answered "the companionship, he just wants to be with you."

And how true that is. When I come home from work or school, Vinnie is always excited to see me and the first to greet me at the door. If Marco and I are excited or laughing, Vinnie joins in, shaking his little butt, running aound like crazy. If I'm not feeling well or sad for some reason, Vinnie sits by me to console me.

Marco and I spend a lot of time in our study room, each sitting at our desks. Vinnie's always in the room with us. If he's not sleeping, he will sit next to one of our chairs. And it's not enough to be next to us, he'll scoot himself as close as possible, like in the picture. This is what I love about Vinnie.

He is wonderful beyond words.

No comments: