I miss the Bay Area. I grew up in San Bruno, a city about 15 miles south of San Francisco. I guess it's mainly known for being the home of the SF airport. Even now when I visit, I'll hear the roar of the plane passing overhead and I catch myself looking up to see the plane break through the fog. Growing up, the noise of the airplanes was somehow reassuring, something I could count on(after 9/11, the silence of the planes was an eerie reminder of the day's tragedy).Marco and I lived on the Peninsula for almost 3 years after getting married, first in San Mateo and then in Foster City. I didn't want to leave, but UCLA beckoned. When Marco first moved to the Bay he would constantly complain about the cold, having spent most of his years in San Diego. During our first summer in the Bay, he would try to sleep with the windows open. I would say "are you crazy? you'll freeze! this is not southern california!" After catching a cold, he thought twice about opening that window at night. Marco eventually got used to the weather and realized how wonderful the crisp breeze feels in the evenings. Now we both miss the windy nights in Foster City. Vinnie especially misses the coolness of the Bay Area, bulldogs do not do well in the LA heat.
We dream and plan to move back to SF, but this time buying a home and living in the City. Every time we visit, we drive to the top of the golden gate bridge and wish this was our home. I wish it were sooner, but I can be patient (well not really, but I have no choice at this point!)
There's an episode of House Hunters about a couple buying a home in SF, Bernal Heights to be exact. For those of you who have never seen the show or are deprived of cable (poor souls), House Hunters follows a couple in their search for their perfect home. They are shown 3 homes and choose one in the end. Well, Marco and I have seen the SF episode a million times, and every time I see it I get so jealous. I wish we were on the show looking for our home in Bernal Heights! The home they choose is a remodeled Victorian, which I would buy in a heartbeat. It has the views of the city, a backyard, and all the true character of a Victorian home in SF. Oh, it's so beautiful....I can't wait to be reunited with my City....
For those who come to San Francisco, Be sure to wear
some flowers in your hair.If you come to San Francisco, Summertime will be a
love-in there...

No comments:
Post a Comment